"Education is a business which enables a person to distinguish between right & wrong ."

Wednesday, June 9, 2021

Where to use the infinitive or the gerund:

 

Where to use the infinitive or the gerund:

i) decide, desire, expect, dare, promise, wish, want, offer, hope, refuse, swear+ to infinitive.

ii) attempt, begin, fear, hate, like, love, try, start, continue, forget, learn, omit, neglect + to infinitive/gerund.

iii) mind, drop, practice, finish,  delay, forbid, endure, excuse, consider,  stop, fancy, suggest, present, prefer, deny, enjoy, miss, forgive, escape, avoid, pardon + gerund. But these verbs +object+ to infinitive.
The doctor advise taking exercise.
The doctor advise me to take exercise.

iv) can't stand, can't help, it’s no use, it’s no good + gerund.
It’s no use going there.

v) on, in, of, for, at + gerund.
He insisted on my going there.
Assist in, fondness for, repent of, sanguine of, have a chance of, passion for, think of, different of  নিরাশ, bent on, meditate on, confident of, + gerund.

vi) verb+ how/what/when/where/why/which+ to infinitive
I know what I am supposed to do = I know what to do.
She taught me how I should use the machine = She taught me how to use the machine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A School Library

A library a store house of knowledge. It is a apart and parcel of an educational institution. We have a big library in our school building....